The Enrolment Process
We would be delighted for you to consider enrolling your child at Hokowhitu School. If you are considering taking this step, you are welcome to contact the office to make an appointment with our principal, so you can see the school and discuss any questions you have.
When you are ready to enrol your child, please collect an enrolment pack from the office, fill in the forms, and return them as soon as possible. Please also bring with you your child’s birth certificate and immunisation form (completed by your family doctor).
Our Enrolment Scheme and Ballot Information
The Board is now inviting applications from parents who wish to enrol their child at Hokowhitu School for Terms 3 and 4 of 2019.
Enrolment at Hokowhitu School is governed by a Ministry of Education approved enrolment scheme. Under this scheme, students will be enrolled if they live within the home zone broadly bordered by Victoria Avenue, Main Street, Ruahine Street, Franklin Avenue, Pahiatua Street, Te Awe Awe Avenue, and most Summerhill addresses accessed via Pacific Drive. (For a precise description, please refer to the map and description below).
For Terms 3 and 4 of 2019, the Board estimates there are likely to be 20 spaces available for out of zone children turning 5 years.
The deadline for receipt of applications for out of zone placements is 3pm, date to be advised. A ballot will be held on date to be advised (if needed) . Parents will be informed of the outcome.
Our Board of Trustees is committed to supporting families of children who have siblings currently attending our school.
Out of Zone enrolment
Applications for out of zone enrolment will be processed in the following order of priority:
- Applicants who are siblings of current students
- Applicants who are siblings of former students
- Any applicant who is a child of a former student of the school
- Any applicant who is either a child of an employee of the Board of the school or a child of a member of the Board of the school
- All other applicants
If there are more applicants in any of these priority groups than there are places available, selection within the priority group will be by a ballot.
Applicants may be required to give proof of a sibling relationship.
Home Zone description
|For an interactive map of the Hokowhitu School home zone, plus full details of our enrolment scheme, click here.
All students who live within the home zone described below shall be entitled to enrol at Hokowhitu school. Proof of residence within the home zone will be required.
In a clockwise direction:
- From the intersection of Main Street and Victoria Avenue the boundary is the centre of Main Street to its intersection with Ruahine Street. Ruahine Street continues as the boundary such that addresses 259 to 425 (odd side) and 258 to 424 (even side) are in zone. Addresses in Linmor Place and Silverdale Court, which are off Ruahine Street, are in zone.
- Franklin Avenue and Ascot Street continue as the boundary, addresses on both sides are in zone, through to Pahiatua Street and numbers 49 (odd side) and 56 (even side) and below are in zone. Albert Street continues as the boundary, addresses on both sides are in zone, to the river.
- The home zone boundary crosses the Manawatu River and is a line such that Barich Lane, Titirangi Drive and Holden Way addresses are in zone, and the boundary extends to include Pacific Drive addresses and all addresses accessed only via Pacific Drive, either directly or indirectly. Valley Views and Turitea Road addresses are not in zone.
- Continuing clockwise, from the intersection of State Highway 57 and Summerhill Drive towards Palmerston North City, the boundary line is the centreline of Summerhill Drive/Tennent Drive/Fitzherbert Avenue to the intersection of Fitzherbert Avenue with Te Awe Awe Street.
- The centre line of Te Awe Awe Street continues as the boundary, addresses on the even-numbered side are in zone.
- At the intersection of Te Awe Awe Street and Victoria Avenue the boundary is then Victoria Avenue addresses on both sides are in zone through to Main Street (the starting point).